From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: consistent Gentoo tool names
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:34:32
1 On Thursday 18 March 2004 00:04, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > What's unclear about it?
3
4 The fact that you don't actually use that naming scheme in your examples?
5
6 > How could it be made more clear?
7
8 Use it in the examples.
9
10 > The goal is making it easy to find tools, scan the list of tools and run
11 > the desired tool. Why go halfway and have two separate prefixes (config-
12 > and update-)?
13
14 I'm amazed we've managed to keep it down to just those two ;-)
15
16 I guess I'm just a bit old-fashioned when it comes to UNIX ... why have a long
17 name to type in if there's a shorter one available? ;-)
18
19 > As for the second part, clearly that particular tool is _not_
20 > Gentoo-specific, and as such, should not be on the list of things to be
21 > renamed. =) Mea culpa. However it would be helpful if the upstream
22 > maintainer (you in this case) chose to rename it in a similar fashion
23 > (i.e., config-webapp) and provided a Gentoo compatibility symlink at
24 > gentoo-config-webapp in the ebuild.
25
26 I'm happy to do that - it's a good idea. Hopefully I'll have enough time this
27 weekend to commit the update. Best done soon, before people actuallys start
28 using it ;-)
29
30 Best regards,
31 Stu
32 --
33 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
34 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
35 Missed the php|cruise? http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/cruise-2004/
36
37 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
38 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list