From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-crypt/gpa: gpa-0.9.3.ebuild ChangeLog gpa-0.9.1_pre20100416-r1.ebuild
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 02:26:53
In Reply to: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-crypt/gpa: gpa-0.9.3.ebuild ChangeLog gpa-0.9.1_pre20100416-r1.ebuild by Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
1 On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > That's all I'm saying. It's being made a whole lot less pleasant that it
3 > might be... for what reason? Just to satisfy someone's ego that they're
4 > right and can /force/ compliance? Yuck!
5
6 Honestly, while I might agree with that sentiment on some of these
7 threads, my only complaint with Ciaran's original response was that he
8 could have been a bit more direct with his concern. Rather than
9 stating that EXTRA_* does not exist as far as ebuilds go, he could
10 have just stated that PMS does not allow these variables to be used by
11 an ebuild.
12
13 However, the reply to that email makes it clear that even though it
14 was unstated Ciaran's meaning was understood.
15
16 Sure, he didn't get into the why, but I'm not sure I'd expect that.
17 I'd probably state it, but I'm probably the second-most-verbose person
18 on this list. :)
19
20 If somebody filed a bug against my package and pointed out that
21 something was illegal per PMS, probably the first thing I'd do is read
22 it to fully understand the situation, and then if I had a concern I'd
23 probably ask via irc/private email/etc. That is as much to avoid
24 making a fool out of myself in public, but also because when somebody
25 who is obviously knowledgeable points out something they consider a
26 flaw, it isn't a bad idea to give their concern full consideration.
27
28 Sure, if PMS is wrong it ought to be fixed, but the whole point of
29 having specifications is that you don't toss them the moment you don't
30 like what they say. Then again, I work on regulated software in my
31 real job, and even if the spec is wrong changing it still involves a
32 process - you don't just ignore it (any behavior in violation of the
33 spec is an automatic bug - even if the bug is to fix the spec - and
34 unless pretty trivial is justification to prevent release (often this
35 is done anyway since it is usually less work to just fix the problem
36 than justify to the world not doing it)).
37
38 In any case, it is best to not take these sorts of things personally
39 all around. Most of us are here because our perverse tastes consider
40 this stuff fun! :) Might as well keep it that way...
41
42 Rich