From: Peter Alfredsen <loki_val@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developer Retirements
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 00:02:17
1 On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 13:44:55 -0500
2 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'm wondering what exactly is the harm in letting developers idle for
5 > a while?
6
7 Nothing, as long as they don't pretend to be maintaining packages while
8 they idle. See compnerd and his tonne of system-packages for reference.
9 It unnecessarily complicates things if people just "step out" for half a
10 year and don't leave an .away or re-assign their packages.
11
12 > The fact that someone only
13 > does one commit a year does not marginalize their contribution. While
14 > it may be small it is improving the overall quality of the distro.
15 > I'm constantly seeing developers getting upset over getting pushed
16 > out.
17
18 They are not being pushed out. One commit a month is not much to ask.
19 That's one speeling fix per month to be considered an active dev.
20
21 If they can't be bothered to do that, well, I really feel for them, but
22 they should just hand over their keys and submit their yearly commit as
23 a patch instead. They're even welcome to CC me, citing this thread and
24 my promise to commit their patch and I shall do it.
25
26 Problem solved.
27
28 /loki_val