From: Jauhien Piatlicki <jauhien@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoo-project] Re: towards a more distributed model
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 14:30:43
1 On 11/18/2014 03:02 PM, vivo75@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Il 18/11/2014 14:12, Jauhien Piatlicki ha scritto:
3 >> On 11/18/2014 04:19 AM, heroxbd@g.o wrote:
4 >>> Jauhien Piatlicki <jauhien@g.o> writes:
5 >>>
6 >>>> It would be probably good to have in the tree only the core components and move other stuff to the thematic overlays.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Then we can have a clear understanding, how things should be: if
9 >>>> something is a part of the core system, it goes to the tree, if
10 >>>> something is a scientific packages, it lives in the science overlay,
11 >>>> if something is a java stuff it lives in the java overlay, etc.
12 >>> This is a good idea. One difficulty: how to handle inter-overlay
13 >>> dependence? Either the dependency should be expressed by overlay +
14 >>> ebuild, or the dependent ebuild should be moved into the "core overlay".
15 >>> I haven't figured out a clean solution yet.
16 >>>
17 >> Yes, this is a weak point of decentralization. We should think how to
18 >> solve it. The possible solution is using of dependencies between
19 >> overlays (one overlay says, it depends on other). We already have such a
20 >> feature, we only need to add more support for it. Example of such a
21 >> dependency:
22 >>
23 >> %cat /var/lib/layman/melpa-stable/metadata/layout.conf
24 >>
25 >> repo-name = melpa-stable
26 >>
27 >> masters = gnu-elpa gentoo
28 >>
29 >> Dependencies on overlays in ebuilds is bad idea I think, as it only will
30 >> introduce additional problems. Also think what if you need not a
31 >> package, but an eclass or whatever else.
32 >>
33 >> In addition, one question that emerges is possible circular dependencies
34 >> between overlays. We need a way to handle this.
35 > As much as I dislike the idea to move development to overlays
36 > circular dependancies is not a problem because it's a simple _mutual_ dep.
37 > there is not really a concept of before and after at most priority for a
38 > package.
42 At the moment it is. As `masters` is really not the dependency, but
43 instruction to use eclasses from a given overlay. May be we need to
44 rethink layout.conf a little bit and add real overlay dependencies. But
45 here another question arises: overlays are not specified in PMS and so
46 treated by every PM in a different manner. There master repositories are
47 mentioned, but there is no specification afaik.
50 Jauhien