From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [news-item] Paludis 0.24
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 04:22:10
1 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> posted
2 20070505001746.5c8e2fb6@snowflake, excerpted below, on Sat, 05 May 2007
3 00:17:46 +0100:
4
5 > On Fri, 04 May 2007 17:38:43 -0500
6 > Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o> wrote:
7 >> Right.... which... seems to me something I would want to know *BEFORE*
8 >> I upgraded...
9 >
10 > No no, if you find out before you upgrade you preemptively change your
11 > config files and the old version breaks. If you find out after you
12 > upgrade you know why you're getting a load of warnings about '*' being
13 > deprecated.
14
15 I believe that last word, deprecated, is what many are missing. If the
16 files are upgraded to the new format previous to merging the new version,
17 things will break. If the new version is installed and the files remain
18 in the old format, it will simply spit warnings but it'll still work.
19 Thus, switching the format must be done after the upgrade, not before,
20 and the news message suggesting it should be shown after the upgrade, not
21 before, to prevent breakage while explaining warnings people will get
22 until they update to current format.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list