From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Default src_install for EAPI-2 or following EAPI
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:15:42
1 On Sunday, 5. October 2008, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Petteri Räty wrote:
3 > >>>
4 > >>> dodoc ${DOCS} || die "dodoc failed"
5 > >>
6 > >> This seems alright fine to me
7 > >
8 > > It's not. If you want to have default DOCS then you should loop
9 > > through the items and check with [[ -e ]] before trying to install
10 > > them.
11 >
12 > I'm not convinced that this is a good idea. Then you won't catch cases
13 > where upstream removes or renames files.
14 >
15 > Besides, dodoc already checks for -e by itself (and emits a warning if
16 > the file does not exist).
17 >
18 > So, maybe just do a 'dodoc "${DOCS}"' and omit the die? Then it won't
19 > fail but the warning message would be preserved.
20
21 I understood Petteri's comment to be related to the default case (i.e. the
22 else-branch), and I have to agree there: Ebuilds that do not override
23 src_install should not emit a warning when some ChangeLog file is missing
24 that the ebuild never specified to install.
25
26 Robert