From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dropping PyPy(3) back to ~arch
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2021 23:09:04
1 On Wed, 2021-03-03 at 23:00 +0000, Sam James wrote:
2 > > On 2 Mar 2021, at 15:05, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > I think I've made a mistake by stabilizing PyPy(3), and I would like
8 > > drop it back to ~arch (and stable-mask the relevant flags).
9 > >
10 > > Roughly, there are 4 problems with it:
11 > >
12 > > [snip]
13 >
14 > > Honestly, I've tried to improve PyPy in the past but I don't really
15 > > have
16 > > time or motivation to do this continuously. PyPy is an interesting
17 > > project, and it has its isolated uses. However, I don't think it's
18 > > ready as a general-purpose Python interpreter for production
19 > > environments.
20 > >
21 > > I don't really want to remove it entirely or revert all the work
22 > > we've
23 > > put into testing packages with it -- but I think we should move it
25 > > ~arch at the very least.
26 >
27 > It’s unfortunate but no objections. News item may be worthwhile
28 > to explain to users why & how for posterity, but not necessary.
29
30 Yeah, I'm still not sure what to do.
31
32 What is certain is that we need to do something because current PyPy
33 versions are vulnerable, and two-slots-in-one-target approach is not
34 sustainable.
35
36 Option 1. is to stabilize the new versions, including alpha pypy3.7
37 (test-restricted). This will make it possible to delay the final
38 decision. However, it would imply that stable users rebuild everything
39 to upgrade pypy3 and that would suck if it would mean it goes ~arch
40 anyway.
41
42 Option 2. is to drop it to ~arch. This feels better given its quality
43 but kinda sucks for users.
44
45 When we remove py3.7, having pypy3.7 as the newest pypy will be the same
46 kind of problem whether it's stable or not.
49 Best regards,
50 Michał Górny