From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: adding sys-apps/iproute2 to the @system set
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 13:20:54
1 On 09/06/14 08:41, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On Friday 05 September 2014 12:34:11 William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> All,
4 >>
5 >> there is a bug open requesting that we add sys-apps/iproute2 to the
6 >> system set [1]. Originally the request was to drop net-tools, but it has
7 >> become just adding iproute2.
8 > I wouldn't mind either option - net-tools has been deprecated for a decade,
9 > but if we still ship it as default it will be used.
10 >
11 > Some people seem to think that stage3 is bloated - last time I looked at it
12 > there was lots of really-not-needed stuff like two python interpreters. If you
13 > want to de-bloat work on that, the extra 150kB or whatever of iproute2 are so
14 > small that it's barely noticeable.
15 I'm not sure we can get rid of python2 and have only python3, but if
16 that's possible, absolutely punt it! The bloat I'm talking about
17 includes size, but more importantly, I'm concerned about cpu time. When
18 building on a minor arch where your CPU speed is 600 MHz and you only
19 have 256MB of ram (and lots of slow swap to help for monsters like
20 gcc-4.8), you feel the bloat in days of waiting.
23 > And by the same reasoning of "bloat" we should remove openssh ( and maybe even
24 > rsync ;) ) because it's not strictly needed - so maybe we want a "minimal" and
25 > a "useful" stage3 ?
26
27 This begs the question "useful for what"? We have competing criteria.
28 So one criterion is "a final stage in a catalyst run which can seed the
29 next round" and the other is "a stage from which any gentoo system can
30 be built." Both depend on the environment in which you are building,
31 eg. if you unpack a stage3 onto a partition, reboot, and then expect to
32 be able to rsync portage, then you need rsync in there, and maybe some
33 other stuff like wget or curl. Alternatively, I could build up my system
34 in a chroot in which I bind mount /usr/portage from the host, the way
35 catalyst does -- its a bit more complicated than that but you get the
36 idea. Then I don't need rsync.
37
38 So yeah, there is a slippery slope here, but having two packages that
39 achieve the same purpose is overstepping. The better analogy would be
40 having openssh and dropbear and then saying that the latter is only
41 150kB, so let's just add it.
44 > Have fun,
45 >
46 > Patrick
51 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
52 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
53 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
54 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
55 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA