From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: adding sys-apps/iproute2 to the @system set
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 12:41:14
1 On Friday 05 September 2014 12:34:11 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > there is a bug open requesting that we add sys-apps/iproute2 to the
5 > system set [1]. Originally the request was to drop net-tools, but it has
6 > become just adding iproute2.
7
8 I wouldn't mind either option - net-tools has been deprecated for a decade,
9 but if we still ship it as default it will be used.
10
11 Some people seem to think that stage3 is bloated - last time I looked at it
12 there was lots of really-not-needed stuff like two python interpreters. If you
13 want to de-bloat work on that, the extra 150kB or whatever of iproute2 are so
14 small that it's barely noticeable.
15
16 And by the same reasoning of "bloat" we should remove openssh ( and maybe even
17 rsync ;) ) because it's not strictly needed - so maybe we want a "minimal" and
18 a "useful" stage3 ?
19
20 Have fun,
21