From: Joseph Pingenot <trelane@××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo Devt <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [Very OT]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:30:23
1 >From purslow@×××××××××.ca on Monday, 16 February, 2004:
2 >040216 Joseph Pingenot wrote:
3 >>> From purslow@×××××××××.ca on Sunday, 15 February, 2004:
4 >>> but let's remember that free-software workers far outnumber M$ cadres
5 >>> & 95 % humans are not subject to the repressive US legal system,
6 >>> so M$ wd have a v hard time, if they tried that kind of attack.
7 >> I agree that it has its warts, but "repressive" is a vast overstatement,
8 >> There are *much* worse systems out there which deserve that moniker.
9 >> I know it's currently popular to bash the US, but please don't.
10 >yes, i'm aware this is a sensitive subject & largely OT for Gentoo-dev,
11 >but the OP -- whose warning i said was sensible -- like so many others
12 >did sound as if everyone is subject to the US legal system.
13
14 No, but a *lot* of the world is sensitive to Microsoft's money, either
15 through direct bribes or ability to hire huge legal squads.
16
17 >that is by no means the case, as Hollywood & M$ are finding out in Europe.
18 >people in Canada & Europe are not as frightened of being hit
19 >w a legal sledgehammer as most US residents seem to be, rightly/not:
20 >our societies are based on consensus rather than continual confront'n.
21
22 *sigh* WTF, mate? From my experience, the world is about the same
23 in terms of consensus and confrontation. Just that somehow the US
24 is seen/portrayed as "worse" than the others in popular liberal
25 belief and media.
26
27 I'd agree that the US legal system could do with more consensus and less
28 confrontation, but this is a common problem. I don't see it being
29 much different around the globe.
30
31 I think your stereotype of the US is very flawed, and your view of
32 your own nation (and Europe) is as well.
33
34 >but largely OT ... (smile)
35
36 yes. Very largely OT. I will post no more on the subject.
40 Graduate Student in Physics, Freelance Free Software Developer
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list