From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 01:39:38
1 On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 12:15:56 -0400
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > The approach mentioned above, if the packages do not have issue. I
6 > could go ahead and switch to ruby24 and pyton 3.6 across the board.
7 > Which I cannot do now till a bunch of ebulids have their targets
8 > increased.
11 This could introduce tree breakage.
12
13 Why?
14
15 Because of the whole
16
17 "X built with python FOO depends on a Y built with python FOO" mechanic.
18
19 As it stands, when unmasking a new python, people have to go through and mark
20 packages as working, which has the requirement that their dependencies are themselves working
21 in order to satisfy the USE requirements.
22
23 When you reverse this, you introduce a situation where adding a new version across the board
24 creates a new skeleton-tree of support.
25
26 And when you find something that *doesnt* work, you may have to recursively
27 mark its *dependents* as "non-working" to avoid a dependency graph breakage.
28
29 This is the sort of thing that makes life hell, for both developers
30 and users.
31
32 I could be barking up the wrong tree, buy the python team could give a
33 better idea of what that would look like in practice than me.
34
35 But I fear this would look like "the hell of dekeywording" made harder
36 by the lack of tools to facilitate such a thing.