From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI spec (was Re: Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:58:57
1 On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:10:38 +0100
2 Marien Zwart <marienz@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I am a bit unsure about what the goal for PMS is here. It does not
5 > seem to be to document what a certain (the current?) version of
6 > portage does, as the defacto standard. Instead you want to document
7 > what portages *intention* is, or something like that. That obviously
8 > sounds like an excellent idea, but as far as I know most of the PMS
9 > contributors are also Paludis devs. Paludis, being an alternative to
10 > portage, is *also* trying to handle ebuilds the way portage is
11 > "intended" to handle them. So what I'm afraid of is that "by the time
12 > that Paludis 1.0_pre is released" we will simultaneously see PMS
13 > released to the public, and Paludis 1.0_pre supporting that PMS
14 > perfectly, with all deviations on the part of portage (or pkgcore)
15 > being considered "bugs" in their implementation of the specification.
16
17 The intention is much as you initially surmised -- to describe
18 portage's intended behaviour, or perhaps more accurately that subset of
19 Portage's current behaviour which ebuilds and eclasses upon which are
20 allowed to rely. Certainly by the time it is finished and sent to the
21 Council for approval I expect whatever is the current Portage release
22 to be compatible, and in most cases where I've deviated thus far from
23 what Portage allows or does I've asked the current portage team whether
24 it seems reasonable to do so.
25
26 In some cases there are ebuilds in the tree relying upon behaviour that
27 is not specified by PMS, or intended to be. These are the cases where
28 only one or two packages rely upon undocumented and often unintentional
29 by-products of Portage behaviour, and it seems more sensible to fix
30 those few ebuilds instead of adding a lot of compatibility junk to the
31 standard. A good example of this would be the recent -dev thread on
32 global ebuild variables and pkg_setup.
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list