From: Marien Zwart <marienz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI spec (was Re: Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:15:57
1 On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 04:13:11AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 04:04:37 +0000 Steve Long
3 > <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > | In process terms, I can't understand why the team working on it isn't
5 > | a pkgcore dev (eg marienz if you can't communicate with ferringb)
6 >
7 > Because a) they haven't asked,
8
9 Since I'm a relatively active pkgcore dev and listed explicitly in the
10 text you reply to, I'm going to assume I'm part of the "they" here.
11
12 I have not asked for access to PMS. The whole process of "only people
13 we deem sufficiently skilled get access" makes me a bit uncomfortable.
14 For example, what if I managed to get through whatever process there
15 is for verifying if I'm capable of contributing, and then am unable to
16 actually contribute because of time constraints? I'm afraid that would
17 effectively reduce my "credit" for participating in future projects of
18 the same kind.
19
20 That's sort of a worst case scenario though. And it's likely I do lack
21 the knowledge and experience to contribute a lot to this
22 specification, but that is a bit hard for me to judge without being
23 able to see what is there already in the first place.
24
25 > b) they're more interested in replacing the ebuild format
26
27 I am very curious where you got that idea. No, I am not interested in
28 replacing the ebuild format. Nor is any other pkgcore dev as far as I
29 know. I do have a few ideas for extensions to the format, which work
30 together with the EAPI proposal.
31
32 > c) every other time they've gotten involved they've been highly
33 > unhelpful.
34
35 Do you have any examples in mind here? I can't think of one, I'm
36 curious what project you are referring to.
37
38 No longer in reply to this particular mail, but to the thread in general:
39
40 I am a bit unsure about what the goal for PMS is here. It does not
41 seem to be to document what a certain (the current?) version of
42 portage does, as the defacto standard. Instead you want to document
43 what portages *intention* is, or something like that. That obviously
44 sounds like an excellent idea, but as far as I know most of the PMS
45 contributors are also Paludis devs. Paludis, being an alternative to
46 portage, is *also* trying to handle ebuilds the way portage is
47 "intended" to handle them. So what I'm afraid of is that "by the time
48 that Paludis 1.0_pre is released" we will simultaneously see PMS
49 released to the public, and Paludis 1.0_pre supporting that PMS
50 perfectly, with all deviations on the part of portage (or pkgcore)
51 being considered "bugs" in their implementation of the specification.
52
53 This does not go into just how far PMS might end up deviating from
54 existing portage behaviour and existing ebuilds in the tree, and how
55 much of that is acceptable for a specification that is intended to be
56 picked up by the council as something official all ebuilds and
57 managers must adhere to. We have already seen some examples where code
58 used in ebuilds currently in the tree would be invalid under the new
59 specification. It does not seem right to me to have a specification
60 like this (which if it gets picked up by the council all tree ebuilds
61 and all package managers should comply with) written mostly by
62 developers of a single package manager (no pkgcore devs have access to
63 the PMS spec at the moment. I do not know who *does* have access
64 though. Is there a list somewhere, or do you need to have access to
65 get at the list? :) ).
66
67 Most of this could be countered by saying that there should be a
68 "reference package manager" to go along with the specification, but I
69 am not convinced this is the right approach here, since a reason to
70 write this specification to begin with was to be able to figure out
71 which of the package managers are viable portage alternatives. The
72 idea was to not get any messy portage quirks documented as required
73 standard behaviour, the risk here is that we'll now get paludis quirks
74 documented as required standard behaviour.
77 Marien.