From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-sound/cdparanoia: ChangeLog cdparanoia-3.10.2-r3.ebuild
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:58:26
1 On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > If you only wanted to remove these files, you are free to use
4 > INSTALL_MASK locally instead of downgrading the quality of tree.
5
6 How is this a quality issue? Why do we have a static-libs USE flag is
7 packages can't use it to determine whether the package installs static
8 libs?
9
10 It seems like this is only a "quality" issue in some aesthetic sense
11 of the word. From an end-user point of view not installing the files
12 or not building them are the same thing, unless you're talking about
13 CPU time and tmp space usage. Now, if the time to build those files
14 was actually significant then I could see an argument here, although
15 you haven't actually proposed an alternative that addresses this.
16
17 This doesn't really impact me much personally, but it just seems like
18 we nitpick stuff like this way too much when the goal should be things
19 that work. By all means improve on things, but we shouldn't just be
20 reverting them.
21
22 Now, if in the course of making a minor change like this the committer
23 also rewrote half the ebuild which is something the maintainer has to
24 deal with that a fly-by-night visitor doesn't then I could see more of
25 an issue. I don't really see this as creating any kind of maintenance
26 burden.
27
28 Rich