From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, compnerd@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-editors/leafpad: ChangeLog leafpad-0.8.14.ebuild
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:07:55
1 >>>>> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 >> And IMHO the "emacs" USE flag should not be used here:
4 >>
5 >> $ ./configure -hs
6 >> Configuration of Leafpad 0.8.12:
7 >>
8 >> Optional Features:
9 >> [...]
10 >> --enable-emacs implement Emacs key theme (experimental)
11 >>
12 >> $ equery uses =leafpad-0.8.12
13 >> [...]
14 >> + + emacs : Adds support for GNU Emacs
15 >>
16 >> As its description says, the flag is intended for GNU Emacs support
17 >> which is not the case here.
18
19 > i think the USE flag makes sense. perhaps the description should be
20 > changed.
21
22 Certainly a USE flag makes sense here, but it shouldn't be USE=emacs.
23
24 The "emacs" global USE flag is used by 82 other packages (all outside
25 the app-emacs category). Its purpose is always that GNU Emacs specific
26 files are installed; either directly, or indirectly by pulling another
27 package via *DEPEND.
28
29 So leafpad would be the first package assigning a different meaning to
30 the flag.
31
32 In my opinion, a local USE flag like "emacskeys" or "emacs-keymap"
33 would make more sense here. (And I doubt that users who would enable
34 Emacs key bindings in leafpad would always want GNU Emacs. Setting
35 USE=emacs in make.conf will inevitably install it.)
36
37 Ulrich
38 --
39 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list