From: Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What is "official"?
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 18:14:24
1 Everything maintained by the Gentoo project, instead than for the Gentoo
2 project.
3
4 Stuart Herbert wrote:
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > One of the issues that the o.g.o project has brought to a head is the
8 > definition of what is "official" and what is not "official" when it
9 > comes to Gentoo. The term is already being thrown about in the
10 > Project Sunrise thread; I'm sure it'll come up again in future.
11 >
12 > It's an issue I think we should discuss and find an agreement on.
13 >
14 > Personally, I think what makes something official or not is 100% down
15 > to who does it. I think something is official if it is done by the
16 > project (where a project matches the definition in the metastructure
17 > project) responsible for whatever we're applying the label "official"
18 > to, then that's all that matters.
19 >
20 > So (picking something entirely at random for an example), if the Java
21 > project had an overlay somewhere (say, on gentooexperimental.org),
22 > because it's their overlay, the overlay is "official". Doesn't matter
23 > where it is hosted - all that matters is that it is run by the Java
24 > project.
25 >
26 > Equally (because it is the hot topic of the moment), Project Sunrise's
27 > overlay would be "official" because they're a Gentoo project. The way
28 > to stop them being "official" is simply to have the Council pass a
29 > resolution to shut down the project.
30 >
31 > I think the other side of the term "official" is clarifying the scope
32 > of how far something can be "official". Using the Java project as an
33 > example again (sorry guys :), the Java team can put in place
34 > "official" policies and procedures for what their team does, but that
35 > doesn't make them mandatory for the whole Gentoo project. Other
36 > developers remain free to form competitive projects, and put their own
37 > "official" policies and procedures in place if they wish.
38 >
39 > (I hope I explained that last bit properly. What I'm trying to do is
40 > keep in mind the terms of the metastructure document, which explicitly
41 > allow for two or more teams to be competing with each other).
42 >
43 > What are the alternatives? If a project's activities are not
44 > automatically "official", then who gets to decide, and how is that
45 > decision made? How can that decision be made fairly, without
46 > contradicting the metastructure, and without giving rise to any
47 > accusations of 'cabals'?
48 >
49 > Best regards,
50 > Stu