From: Sven Wegener <swegener@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:50:11
1 On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 03:56:49PM -0400, Dan Meltzer wrote:
2 > Seems like use.force might be a bad name..... when I first read the
3 > email, and saw use.force, the first thing that came to mind was
4 > "gentoo forcing something?" and even after reading the email, I
5 > wouldn't expect to be able to override something that was "forced."
6 > I'm not sure what a better name would be, but I think there may be
7 > one...
8
9 use.force might not be the best name, but it's what we do with it for
10 most of our users. Being able to -flag in /etc/portage/profile/use.force
11 is just because /etc/portage/profile gets added to the cascaded profile
12 chain. Everything we add to portage that allows a profile to revert
13 some behaviour added by parent profiles, can also be done with
14 /etc/portage/profile and it's good that way. So, that we're able to
15 -flag in use.force is just part of the way cascaded profiles work. It's
16 not a feature that will be added just to support use.force. Primary
17 reason for use.force is to have a way to activate flags even if USE="-*"
18 is in make.conf or environment.
19
20 > also, wouldn't the override be in use.unforce? >_<
21
22 No, looking at package.mask in profiles for example, package.unmask is a
23 level that comes after package.mask. First we mask packages and then we
24 check if the user want some of them to be unmasked. The actual removing
25 of a mask can be done with -mask'ing the exact mask in package.mask.
26 That's rarely used, but that's the way cascading profile work in
27 portage.
28
29 May the force be with you,
30 Sven