From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:07:52
1 Sven Wegener wrote:
2
3 > use.force might not be the best name, but it's what we do with it for
4 > most of our users. Being able to -flag in /etc/portage/profile/use.force
5 > is just because /etc/portage/profile gets added to the cascaded profile
6 > chain. Everything we add to portage that allows a profile to revert
7 > some behaviour added by parent profiles, can also be done with
8 > /etc/portage/profile and it's good that way. So, that we're able to
9 > -flag in use.force is just part of the way cascaded profiles work. It's
10 > not a feature that will be added just to support use.force. Primary
11 > reason for use.force is to have a way to activate flags even if USE="-*"
12 > is in make.conf or environment.
13 How is this not just a consequence of USE="-*"...that is what this does;
14 turns off ALL use flags. How is use.force ( or the concept thereof )
15 not breaking the 'easy' interpretation of USE="-*" because now things
16 aren't -*, they are -* + use.force things.
17
18 It's one of those "if you use USE="-*" you should know the consequences
19 of it...kind of deals.
20 --
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list