From: Sven Wegener <swegener@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:42:17
1 On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 05:08:09PM -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Sven Wegener wrote:
3 >
4 > >use.force might not be the best name, but it's what we do with it for
5 > >most of our users. Being able to -flag in /etc/portage/profile/use.force
6 > >is just because /etc/portage/profile gets added to the cascaded profile
7 > >chain. Everything we add to portage that allows a profile to revert
8 > >some behaviour added by parent profiles, can also be done with
9 > >/etc/portage/profile and it's good that way. So, that we're able to
10 > >-flag in use.force is just part of the way cascaded profiles work. It's
11 > >not a feature that will be added just to support use.force. Primary
12 > >reason for use.force is to have a way to activate flags even if USE="-*"
13 > >is in make.conf or environment.
14 >
15 > How is this not just a consequence of USE="-*"...that is what this does;
16 > turns off ALL use flags. How is use.force ( or the concept thereof )
17 > not breaking the 'easy' interpretation of USE="-*" because now things
18 > aren't -*, they are -* + use.force things.
19 >
20 > It's one of those "if you use USE="-*" you should know the consequences
21 > of it...kind of deals.
22
23 There are some USE flags that must survive the -* thing and already do
24 it. One of them being ARCH, which is always there. And the USE_EXPANDed
25 ones, the current important being being userland_*, kernel_* and elibc_*
26 which are needed for special dependencies and checks. They are not to be
27 modified by users by using USE in make.conf or the environment. They
28 depend on the chosen profile and should always be enabled. We're not
29 talking about every day USE flags, but really special USE flags, like
30 multilib, selinux or the USE_EXPANDed ones that *must* be turned on for
31 the chosen profile. Don't think of them like every day USE flags that
32 allow you to tweak your system, they are used to pass some information
33 from profiles to the ebuilds in a way portage can easily handle it.
34
35 Hm, use.must sounds bad once I think about it more.
36
37 Sven
40 Sven Wegener
41 Gentoo Linux Developer