From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] RFC: Graveyard project
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 08:15:51
1 Am 15.02.2013 01:19, schrieb Diego Elio Pettenò:
2 > On 15/02/2013 01:15, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> How? We don't support overlays in the main tree. I could see a
4 >> package maintainer being nice if pinged by an overlay maintainer and
5 >> delaying some change for a short time to let an overlay be updated,
6 >> but issues that impact overlays should not be considered blockers on
7 >> closing bugs on the main tree.
8 >
9 > The problem is when you have to triple-check that the user hasn't
10 > enabled some random fucked up overlay and you have to guess whether that
11 > might be the cause of the problem. Yes it happens, not so rarely.
12 >
13 >> If there is something wrong with the proaudio overlay just don't use
14 >> it. The same would apply to sunset.
15 >
16 > I don't use it; people still report bugs with it.
19 I understand your argument but isn't something like graveyard actually
20 an advantage in this case? If people use local or less clearly named
21 overlays, it's hard so say whether that is the problem. If they install
22 packages outside of portage, you have no way of knowing it before they
23 mention it, either.
24
25 Graveyard, on the other hand, shows up clearly in `emerge --info` and
26 is, in my opinion, one of the most justified reasons to close a bug with
27 WONTFIX without looking further.
28
29 Regards,
30 Florian Philipp