From: Douglas Freed <dwfreed@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: status of OpenRC's public API
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:39:11
1 On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dnia 2013-09-13, o godz. 19:16:06
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> OpenRC currently has a public api, consisting of librc and libeinfo
6 >> (rc.h and einfo.h are the headers); however, I do not know of any
7 >> released software that uses these, so, if there is nothing, I am
8 >> considering making this code private to OpenRC and getting rid of the
9 >> API.
10 >
11 > I won't oppose since I don't use OpenRC anymore and therefore my
12 > opinion doesn't really matter here. However, I can't help but notice
13 > a particular trend since Roy left the project. I see that OpenRC is
14 > slowly regressing towards baselayout-1.
15 >
16 > First the oldnet thingie being made the default back. While I can
17 > understand why people wanted it so badly, this doesn't make this less
18 > of a carousel for Gentoo users. I mean, changing defaults with every
19 > maintainer change.
20 >
21 > Then, functions.sh split. While itself good, I don't get what's
22 > the benefit of converting the bash script from baselayout-1 while
23 > a better one was provided with OpenRC.
24 >
25 > Now removing the public API because you don't care. While it may have
26 > been unused indeed, it's simply crippling the thing, not making it more
27 > useful.
28 >
29 > I'd like to see some kind of plan behind all this. Because as far as I
30 > can see, it's just new maintainers slowly dropping all the new features
31 > they don't care about without any specific vision. No offense intended.
32 >
33 > If OpenRC really wants to compete with systemd, it should at least have
34 > some design plan, and you really should start working on providing
35 > useful features rather than reverting, crippling and rewriting for
36 > the sake of changing things.
37 >
38 > Just some material to think about.
39 >
40 > --
41 > Best regards,
42 > Michał Górny
43
44 I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but mgorny has a point. While
45 it may not be immediately obvious, libeinfo is very useful, especially
46 if your project aims to integrate nicely into a Gentoo system, by
47 providing a standard set of printing functions with the formatting
48 taken care of, resulting in output that is very familiar to users and
49 is easy to scan with the eyes when looking for problems. One
50 potential use-case would be reimplementing eselect in C. Not that I'm
51 saying that this should happen, but anybody who attempts to do this
52 would certainly appreciate having this bit taken care of for them. I
53 would be more than willing to assist with maintenance of the library,
54 even if split out into its own package, since it's small and rather
55 simplistic, so there's unlikely to be any issues. I see no reason why
56 we should remove something that isn't broken and doesn't cause us any
57 maintenance burden. If somebody does open a bug against OpenRC
58 because of an issue they're encountering while trying to use libeinfo,
59 I give full license to assign the bug to me, and I'll happily
60 investigate the issue.
61
62 -Doug