From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: williamh@g.o, openrc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: status of OpenRC's public API
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 23:07:59
1 Dnia 2013-09-13, o godz. 19:16:06
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > OpenRC currently has a public api, consisting of librc and libeinfo
5 > (rc.h and einfo.h are the headers); however, I do not know of any
6 > released software that uses these, so, if there is nothing, I am
7 > considering making this code private to OpenRC and getting rid of the
8 > API.
9
10 I won't oppose since I don't use OpenRC anymore and therefore my
11 opinion doesn't really matter here. However, I can't help but notice
12 a particular trend since Roy left the project. I see that OpenRC is
13 slowly regressing towards baselayout-1.
14
15 First the oldnet thingie being made the default back. While I can
16 understand why people wanted it so badly, this doesn't make this less
17 of a carousel for Gentoo users. I mean, changing defaults with every
18 maintainer change.
19
20 Then, functions.sh split. While itself good, I don't get what's
21 the benefit of converting the bash script from baselayout-1 while
22 a better one was provided with OpenRC.
23
24 Now removing the public API because you don't care. While it may have
25 been unused indeed, it's simply crippling the thing, not making it more
26 useful.
27
28 I'd like to see some kind of plan behind all this. Because as far as I
29 can see, it's just new maintainers slowly dropping all the new features
30 they don't care about without any specific vision. No offense intended.
31
32 If OpenRC really wants to compete with systemd, it should at least have
33 some design plan, and you really should start working on providing
34 useful features rather than reverting, crippling and rewriting for
35 the sake of changing things.
36
37 Just some material to think about.
40 Best regards,