From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rsync mirror security
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 03:23:57
1 On 11 August 2015 at 15:06, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > it would have to re-use the same tag name every time otherwise we end up with
3 > 17.5k/8.7k/4.3k/whatever new tags per year ... a really bad idea
6 I was very much under the impression git is not designed with repeated
7 tag replication in consideration.
8
9 The git tag documentation very much implies that any tag having its
10 reference changed will result in effort being required of everyone who
11 wishes to consume that tag. ( It literally brands the act of
12 re-tagging things to be "insane" )
13
14 Tags are very much intended to be immutable references to commits.
15
16 If you need mutable references to commits, isn't that what branches are for?
21 Kent
22
23 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL