From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rsync mirror security
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 04:07:40
1 On 11 Aug 2015 15:23, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On 11 August 2015 at 15:06, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > it would have to re-use the same tag name every time otherwise we end up with
4 > > 17.5k/8.7k/4.3k/whatever new tags per year ... a really bad idea
5 >
6 > I was very much under the impression git is not designed with repeated
7 > tag replication in consideration.
8
9 git has no problem fetching rewritten tags. internally, it doesn't care
10 either -- a tag is merely a reference to an object.
11
12 > The git tag documentation very much implies that any tag having its
13 > reference changed will result in effort being required of everyone who
14 > wishes to consume that tag. ( It literally brands the act of
15 > re-tagging things to be "insane" )
16 >
17 > Tags are very much intended to be immutable references to commits.
18
19 the git docs take the stance that publishing any mutable names is wrong.
20 same goes for rebasing and publishing rewritten history. that's simply
21 the recommended practice. it doesn't mean that the world blows up when
22 you do rewrite things.
23
24 > If you need mutable references to commits, isn't that what branches are for?
25
26 no, that's not what they're for.
27 -mike