From: Nandeep Mali <n9986.mali@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Gentoo Support Everywhere
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 09:07:49
1 On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 [...]
3 > I'm a member at LQ tho I haven't been there in a long while. I just
4 > don't see why there has to be two forums when the one forum we have is
5 > more than enough. If someone can't find the Gentoo forums, I'm not sure
6 > they can find the chair and keyboard either. lol
7
8 As a user I'd say that's ignoring us (the users) blatantly. What's the
9 harm in having it at multiple places? LQ is one of the sites that
10 comes up first in Google Search. I have found solution for many of my
11 queries related to other distros there. Agreed that finding Gentoo
12 Forums is easy, but that doesn't mean that you can expect every user
13 to go there. A reply like mine would usually be countered with: Gentoo
14 users are assumed to be intelligent enough to find this forum. lol
15
16 > I don't see how doing double the work will benefit anyone. Its a lot
17 > easier to have one forum than it is to have two forums. I just think
18 > the Gentoo folks would be better to concentrate on what we have than to
19 > be spreading more work around for the same people. Its not like they
20 > don't have enough work already.
21
22 This is also wrong. As I said before having a presence in multiple
23 areas is just plain helpful and not redundant. Search engines are the
24 first tool that a user would usually use and getting more results is
25 nothing but helpful. And as Jesús put it he is volunteering to do it,
26 so I don't see what is the problem here? If the sub-forum does come up
27 I am sure other people would volunteer as well. Nobody is forcing
28 anyone to do anything here.
29
30 I wish some people would start seeing it from user's perspective as
31 well. And volunteers who want to help like this should be encouraged.
32 Frankly speaking replies like this have discouraged many users I have
33 personally known. And it takes great courage to post to Gentoo ML in
34 fear of such replies. Again and again its virtually stated that: "user
35 is dumb unless they do it the way I want them to do it or the way I
36 think it is right". I take back my words if Gentoo is supposed to be a
37 developer only distro.
38
39 Anyway, again from a user's perspective, Gentoo also has its share of
40 great minds, awesome documentation and some friendly and nice folks.
41 :)
42
43 Regards
44 Nandeep