From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Gentoo Support Everywhere
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 11:25:34
1 Nandeep Mali wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > [...]
4 >
5 >> I'm a member at LQ tho I haven't been there in a long while. I just
6 >> don't see why there has to be two forums when the one forum we have is
7 >> more than enough. If someone can't find the Gentoo forums, I'm not sure
8 >> they can find the chair and keyboard either. lol
11 > As a user I'd say that's ignoring us (the users) blatantly. What's the
12 > harm in having it at multiple places? LQ is one of the sites that
13 > comes up first in Google Search. I have found solution for many of my
14 > queries related to other distros there. Agreed that finding Gentoo
15 > Forums is easy, but that doesn't mean that you can expect every user
16 > to go there. A reply like mine would usually be countered with: Gentoo
17 > users are assumed to be intelligent enough to find this forum. lol
20 Just to be clear here, I am a user myself. I'm not a dev. My opinion
21 is a user opinion.
24 >> I don't see how doing double the work will benefit anyone. Its a lot
25 >> easier to have one forum than it is to have two forums. I just think
26 >> the Gentoo folks would be better to concentrate on what we have than to
27 >> be spreading more work around for the same people. Its not like they
28 >> don't have enough work already.
31 > This is also wrong. As I said before having a presence in multiple
32 > areas is just plain helpful and not redundant. Search engines are the
33 > first tool that a user would usually use and getting more results is
34 > nothing but helpful. And as Jesús put it he is volunteering to do it,
35 > so I don't see what is the problem here? If the sub-forum does come up
36 > I am sure other people would volunteer as well. Nobody is forcing
37 > anyone to do anything here.
38 >
39 > I wish some people would start seeing it from user's perspective as
40 > well. And volunteers who want to help like this should be encouraged.
41 > Frankly speaking replies like this have discouraged many users I have
42 > personally known. And it takes great courage to post to Gentoo ML in
43 > fear of such replies. Again and again its virtually stated that: "user
44 > is dumb unless they do it the way I want them to do it or the way I
45 > think it is right". I take back my words if Gentoo is supposed to be a
46 > developer only distro.
47 >
48 > Anyway, again from a user's perspective, Gentoo also has its share of
49 > great minds, awesome documentation and some friendly and nice folks.
50 > :)
51 >
52 > Regards
53 > Nandeep
58 Since I am seeing this from a user perspective, my opinion stands. I'm
59 not against them having a forum where ever people choose, I just don't
60 think Gentoo and devs should be required to support it. They have
61 enough to deal with now.
62
63 Dale
64