From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Output / End User Experience
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:53:46
1 On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > Actually, there is another workable solution, and that is to set
3 > USE="-gstreamer -icu" for qt-webkit.
4 >
5 > Currently we enable gstreamer by default in the ebuild (as it
6 > is used for HTML5 audio/video, which is expected functionality
7 > in qt-webkit based web browsers etc.), but we are considering
8 > if we should perhaps not enable this by default.
9
10 As discussed on the bug, this will likely help some, but it doesn't
11 help anybody who uses KDE or Gnome.
12
13 I'd normally suggest a news item, and that would make sense BEFORE
14 making changes like this, but at this point it is a bit like fixing
15 the doors after the horses have already left. It won't even help new
16 users much - their difficulty will be getting these packages
17 installed, so unless we just broadcast it to everybody just in case
18 they want to install qt and chromium, it isn't going to be effective.
19
20 We almost need some kind of news mechanism for people who are about to
21 install something.
22
23 Rich