From: Todd Wright <wylie@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Config Idea
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:11:20
1 > The issue is not such a big deal but I believe that solving it
2 > would then open
3 > doors to very easy installation software (even easier than today)
4 > and also
5 > remove the need to have documents for newbie on how to
6 > configure/continually
7 > upgrade their system by writing graphical tools that map config
8 > file to UI.
9
10 Unfortunately I saw htis comment after I had replied to the earlier point.
11
12 As I eluded to in my previous post, if you want a graphical configuration which is simple for newbies to understand, and doesnt require editing files, go use a microsoft product. This is Linux.
13
14 Please dont change the way *nix works.
15
16 Im not against improvements, and there may be ways to improve etc-update or other tools, but these tools must work on the existing structure, dont change the structure to suit the tools. I dont use etc-update, I go and edit my config files by hand (usually with Joe). Yes there is a learning curve and I dont expect newbies to understand how to configure a Linux system on their first try, but rather than change how everything works because you are impatient, why not read some documentation and understand all the configuration options you are adjusting. In the long run, you will do better by understanding each little adjustment you are making than by having a graphical GUI set it all up for you in secret, in a total of 30 seconds.
17
19 / \
20 \_.--._* <--- http://www.dreams.darker.net/~wylie/
21 v Mobile: +61-403-796-001 Ph: +61-2-9521-8677