From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Config Idea
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:26:47
1 On Monday 22 April 2002 17:11, Todd Wright wrote:
2 > Please dont change the way *nix works.
3
4 ACK
5
6 > I dont use etc-update, I go and edit my config files by hand
7
8 ACK
9
10 > I dont expect newbies to understand how to configure a Linux
11 > system on their first try, but rather than change how everything works
12 > because you are impatient, why not read some documentation and understand
13 > all the configuration options you are adjusting. In the long run, you will
14 > do better by understanding each little adjustment you are making than by
15 > having a graphical GUI set it all up for you in secret, in a total of 30
16 > seconds.
17
18 Isn't that why we all chose to use gentoo instead of SuSE or Mandrake ? I know
19 at least lately many Linux newbies have come to Gentoo but if they want to
20 take the challange, let them. I've come from RH 6.2 through about 1 day of
21 Mandrake then Slackware 8 to Gentoo now. You could even use Slackware with
22 checkinstall or something like that instead of gentoo if it wasn't for the
23 great ports like system (tho it still needs some work :)) I installed gentoo
24 because it was _not_ like SuSE. The first sentence in the Gentoo description
25 says it all: "that's geared towards experienced Linux users."
26
27 Alex
30 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
31 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
32 Benjamin Franklin