From: Michael Marineau <marineam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] punting the use.defaults feature
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:58:47
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 11:18:58AM -0800, Drake Wyrm wrote:
3 >
4 >>Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>Well, I don't think so... If I want to enable a feature for one
7 >>>specific ebuild and a USE flag in /etc/portage/package.use pulls in a
8 >>>dep, that in turn enables that use flag globally, it's obviously not
9 >>>what I intended and forces me to add yet another -flag into make.conf
10 >>
11 >>If you don't want portage to employ dark magic in guessing which use
12 >>flags you want enabled, don't let it. Specify your use flags explicitly.
15 > or we can just remove the dark magic and be done with it
16 >
17 > use.defaults is almost like letting ./configure scripts auto detect
18 > settings on the fly imho
19 > -mike
20
21 I'll put in another vote against dark magic.
22
23 However changing this will also lead to many supprises and tick off many
24 users who don't know why a bunch of flags just vanished. How about we
25 leave the feature in portage but remove auto from USE_ORDER in the
26 2006.0 profile and put a note about the changed behaviour the release
27 announcements. For users who do like the functionality just properly
28 document the existance of USE_ORDER in the install guide.
31 Michael Marineau
32 marineam@g.o
33 Gentoo Linux Developer
34 Oregon State University