From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 14:50:41
1 On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 14:51 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > details can remain private if necessary, but publishing a brief summary
3 > along the lines of "we discussed x and y and decided z" *has* to be
4 > less harmful than the current mess where people are deleting their work
5 > and considering resignation because of whatever it is the Council are
6 > up to...
7
8 Except we *did* do that when we first published what we'd done with the
9 CoC. Just because ti didn't have a shiny "Meeting Summary" in the topic
10 doesn't mean it wasn't the outcome of the meeting. You know the topic
11 of discussion. You know the outcome. The details are private. Even
12 you admit that is fine.
13
14 I mean, all this "the Council is hiding something" conspiracy theory is
15 bullshit. How about when I hang out with Mike Doty and we discuss
16 Gentoo stuff? Is that some super-secret meeting where we're trying to
17 circumvent some supposed requirement for transparency? Of course not...
18 If the individual members of the Council feel like getting together and
19 discussing something, we're perfectly free to do that. We don't have to
20 tell you what we discussed. We're allowed to bounce ideas off each
21 other, especially when discussing things said to us in confidence. I
22 understand that some people disagree with this, but this is a simple
23 fact of life. There are going to be cases where people will say
24 something to someone in confidence and not include everyone in on it.
25 There's nothing we can do about that and there is plenty of precedence
26 for it. When someone asks me not to betray their trust, I won't.
27 That's just how I am. If others feel that their knowing stuff that is
28 honestly insignificant in detail since the end result turned out to be
29 the same and done publicly, well, they're more than welcome to run for
30 Council, themselves, but if they were to divulge such information after
31 being privy to it, disciplinary action would *need* to be taken to
32 retain the trustworthiness of Gentoo as a whole.
33
34 Now, that being said, we *did* have a *public* meeting about our
35 discussion, and all *decisions* we made were 100% public. I'm sorry if
36 anyone feels like they were slighted by not being included in the
37 discussions prior to the public meeting, but there's nothing anywhere
38 that says that we have to have all of our discussions in public or even
39 made publicly available. We *do* have to have all of our decisions made
40 public, obviously.
41
42 Personally, I'd just assume make the thing public just to shut people
43 up, but I've really grown to have a stance where I'm less likely to give
44 in to this sort of pressure, since it will do nothing more but prove
45 that being a whiny bitch and trying to pressure people into doing
46 something will get people what they want. I surely don't want to set
47 *that* precedent.
50 Chris Gianelloni
51 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
52 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
53 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
54 Gentoo Foundation