From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 13:54:58
1 On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 14:09:12 +0200
2 Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 09:26:41AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > Unfortunately, what the GLEP doesn't do is prevent the Council from
5 > > having secret meetings and refusing to discuss not only the content
6 > > of those meetings but even the topic. Perhaps a requirement that any
7 > > Council meeting logs be made public would be useful, with a waiver
8 > > that the Council can have a secret meeting if it officially
9 > > announces that it is doing so?
10 >
11 > If they want to have sekrit meetings with sekrit handshakes, let
12 > them. If enough people think this is not acceptable, they'll be gone
13 > on the next election.
14
15 Which is all very well, but it's kind of hard to evaluate the
16 effectiveness of Council members and the Council as a whole if they're
17 doing things behind everyone's backs and making horrible threats to try
18 to prevent people from publishing logs of their goings on...
19
20 I mean, what're people supposed to think from the likes of these?
21
22 Kugelfang> there have been, at that time, 6 council members plus one
23 non council members in that channel
24 ...
25 Kugelfang> ciaranm: and that's all i'll say regarding that, until the
26 rest allows me to speak about the contents of that meeting
27 ...
28 Kugelfang> i really wish i could publish this thing
29
30 and:
31
32 wolf31o2|mobile> we're entrusted by certain outside parties to not
33 disclose things that are spoken to us in confidence
34
35 tove> wolf31o2|mobile: how are outside parties involved in "our" coc? i
36 don't understand this. can you please elaborate on it?
37
38 wolf31o2|mobile> tove: no, I cannot elaborate, nor do I care to... just
39 realize that Gentoo has responsibilities to outside parties that
40 provide services and goods to Gentoo... we have relationships that
41 we would like to maintain... and that's about all I can say (or
42 have time to say... I am at work)
43
44 I mean, when it's reached the point where certain Council members are
45 threatening to pull each others' access if anyone goes public with
46 whatever it was that was discussed, *something* has to be done... The
47 details can remain private if necessary, but publishing a brief summary
48 along the lines of "we discussed x and y and decided z" *has* to be
49 less harmful than the current mess where people are deleting their work
50 and considering resignation because of whatever it is the Council are
51 up to...
54 Ciaran McCreesh