From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please stay on-topic.
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 22:37:12
1 Staying technical, would say more, but I am already saying more than anyone
2 would want me to, since most want me to go away...
3
4 On Friday, December 9, 2016 5:21:53 PM EST james wrote:
5 >
6 > Been down that path. The exam was not ready a few years ago. I've moved
7 > on. But I'm just a java hack because the way things are done, it's just
8 > a voluminous source of ever changing codes and new patches that requires
9 > a full time attention to be effective. By the time I hack something
10 > java, it the old unsupported way to do things.
11
12 While that literally was the case when I joined, 2006, when generation 2
13 Gentoo Java eclasses and such were being hashed out. I would revise an ebuild,
14 commit, things would change, revise, commit, repeat... However things have
15 been pretty stagnant on the Java front for some time. Very little eclass
16 changes.
17
18 I have made effort to document the eclasses and Java ways of doing things on
19 Gentoo. Having helped to make the quiz years ago which also could use an
20 update. Though since I have some disagreements with devs who from time to time
21 who poke Java stuff. I have pretty much stopped. With recent actions taken
22 against me on -project, I doubt I will ever resume.
23
24 https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Java_Developer_Guide&action=history
25 https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?
26 title=Gentoo_Java_Packing_Policy&action=history
27
28 > I'm fine with using
29 > canned modules and binaries, I just think gentoo ought offer a secure
30 > sandbox, VM, container or whatever for java. I do understand the
31 > concerns so it is frustrating and I just do not have the time to become
32 > a java whiz, unless writing your own rxtx counts? I built a serial data
33 > analyzer that sniffs the physical serial interface too, just for
34 > grins...... actually for a customer.
35
36 Java on Gentoo is really not bad, if you are familiar with Java at all.
39 William L. Thomson Jr.