From: Tal Peer <coredumb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:18:20
1 On Friday 20 February 2004 00:10, Stewart Honsberger wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 [snip]
4 > > From these three points we conclude:
5 > >
6 > > 4) The XFree86 license 1.1 is incompatible with the GPL.
7 >
8 > So the only problem with this whole mess is that the XFree people want
9 > us to give them credit in the same place and mannar as we already give
10 > other third parties credit?
11 >
12 > XFree86, pending a replacement, is the only thing giving Linux any
13 > credibility as a desktop operating system. Therefore, I would say it's
14 > rather an integral part of the acceptance of our distribution and OS as
15 > a whole. As such, I wouldn't think a one-liner in a README, INSTALL, or
16 > product literature is such a Big Stinking Deal.
17 >
18 > It's not like they're making the software non-free, they're not
19 > demanding royalties, they're not prohibiting the software from being
20 > distributed, they're just asking for due credit.
23 But that's not the point.
24 The point is that the incompatability between the (new) X license and the GPL
25 plus the presence of GPL drivers for X makes the portage tree tainted,
26 license-wise.. or something along those lines.
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list