From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 23:05:26
1 On pon, 2017-07-10 at 17:47 -0500, Gordon Pettey wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On pon, 2017-07-10 at 17:40 -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
5 > > > Stop getting lost in the weeds!!!!
6 > > > You all are making this about -c vs -C. I am not talking about that!
7 > > >
8 > > > LET ME CLARIFY....
9 > > >
10 > > > When using -C, portage SHOULD warn for dependencies like it does for
11 > > > profile and set packages, PERIOD. NOTHING to do with -c vs -C.
12 > > >
13 > > > When using -c the output should say in layman's terms,
14 > > > "Not removing package A because it is a dependency"
15 > >
16 > > William, I'm not sure if you're aware of how package managers work but
17 > > checking reverse dependencies of a package takes significant amount of
18 > > time.
21 > for x in $(eix -I --only-names); do time equery g $x > /dev/null; done
22 >
23 > The only single package on my system that took more than 2 seconds total
24 > time was gcc. The idea that that is too much time to add to emerge -c or
25 > -C, which in my experience already takes multiple seconds to run anyway is
26 > kind of silly.
27
28 What's even more 'kind of silly' is you claiming things to be kind of
29 silly based on wrong understand of what needs to be done and benchmarks
30 that are done using completely different tooling.
33 Best regards,
34 Michał Górny