From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 22:48:33
1 On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On pon, 2017-07-10 at 17:40 -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
4 > > Stop getting lost in the weeds!!!!
5 > > You all are making this about -c vs -C. I am not talking about that!
6 > >
7 > > LET ME CLARIFY....
8 > >
9 > > When using -C, portage SHOULD warn for dependencies like it does for
10 > > profile and set packages, PERIOD. NOTHING to do with -c vs -C.
11 > >
12 > > When using -c the output should say in layman's terms,
13 > > "Not removing package A because it is a dependency"
14 >
15 > William, I'm not sure if you're aware of how package managers work but
16 > checking reverse dependencies of a package takes significant amount of
17 > time.
20 for x in $(eix -I --only-names); do time equery g $x > /dev/null; done
21
22 The only single package on my system that took more than 2 seconds total
23 time was gcc. The idea that that is too much time to add to emerge -c or
24 -C, which in my experience already takes multiple seconds to run anyway is
25 kind of silly.