From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Possible virtual/alsa change
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:30:39
1 While discussing a couple issues I was having with automated tinderbox
2 testing of gnome/kde on x86, it was decided that now might be a good
3 time to visit the default virtual for alsa. Basically, the Gentoo Linux
4 ALSA Guide[1] recommends using the in-kernel ALSA. We are also using
5 2.6 kernels as the default on almost all architectures. The idea is
6 pretty simple. Change virtual/alsa to match virtual/kernel-sources in
7 base/virtuals, and change virtual/alsa to alsa-driver on architectures
8 still using a 2.4 kernel.
9
10 So should we do this?
11
12 I think it would be a wise move, as I've seen more and more issues with
13 alsa-driver being pulled in when people don't want/need it.
16 Chris Gianelloni
17 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
18 x86 Architecture Team
19 Games - Developer