From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Possible virtual/alsa change
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:45:11
1 On Monday 17 October 2005 20:25, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Change virtual/alsa to match virtual/kernel-sources in
3 > base/virtuals, and change virtual/alsa to alsa-driver on architectures
4 > still using a 2.4 kernel.
5 This might be a bit of a problematic choice... I usually suggest using
6 alsa-driver also if the in-kernel is "quicker" to manage... The reason is
7 that I still fear for alsa-lib/-driver differences, and there was at least a
8 couple of issues with in-kernel emu10k1 drivers in the past that solved using
9 alsa-driver, as they got fixed first.
10
11 Also, alsa-driver allows to have more updated drivers also using old 2.6
12 versions, and there are quite a bit of people that does not like to update
13 the kernel if they don't have to (I think I'm one of them now, after the day
14 spent looking why the system got unstable -and finding out the swap space
15 lost somehow the signature), but might have issues with alsa that can be
16 solved with a simple alsa-driver.
17
18 For the rest, probably is good to have virtuals and doc in-sync..
21 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
22 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE