From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rejecting unsigned commits
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 09:12:57
1 > first off, fix your e-mail client. this long line crap is ridiculous.
2
3 :) ever heard of flowed text? absolutely no need to get aggressive...
4
5 > second, anyone can add/remove e-mail addresses. we arent verifying
6 > e-mail addresses, we're verifying keys.
7
8 Unfortunately you are misunderstanding the GnuPG trust model here. As a third
9 party you are not signing someone's key, but someone's userid associated with
10 that key.
11
12 > the *only* thing that matters
13 > is that the key we have on file (0xabcd) is the one that was used to
14 > sign.
15
16 That's a policy decision. Basically there are several ways to go by
17 implementing our own trust model.
18
19 1) Rely on an existing list of keys somewhere distributed in portage, and
20 automatically trust all keys in that list.
21 VERY BAD, because if someone manipulates the portage tree he/she can
22 manipulate that list as well. I'm pretty confident however you actually meant
23 option 2) or 3):
24
25 2) Rely on an existing keyring somewhere distributed in portage; the file (not
26 the keys themselves) is signed with a master key.
27 Is a very clumsy workaround.
28 Pros: you can exactly decide what keys are used and trusted, without thinking
29 about GnuPG's inner workings.
30 Cons: People tend to modify their keys. Add user ids. Add new subkeys. Expire
31 or revoke subkeys. Revoke userids. (My photo in the key is pretty old by now.
32 :o) Whenever anything of this happens, the key file changes, needs to be re-
33 signed by infra and re-uploaded.
34
35 3) Rely on an existing key list somewhere distributed in portage; the list
36 file with the key id's (not the keys themselves) is signed with a master key.
37 Is a mediocre and potentially insecure workaround.
38 Pros: you can exactly decide what keys are used and trusted, without thinking
39 about GnuPG's inner workings. A user can edit his key and the key remains
40 trusted.
41 Cons: Mainly that the key id is a pretty short hash afaik.(Any better-informed
42 people around?)
43
44 4) Rely on an existing list of keys somewhere distributed in portage and
45 possibly somewhere else (keyservers); a key userid is signed with a master
46 key. Work with GnuPG's well-tested and well-thought-out trust relationships.
47 Back to start, time to re-read the entire thread... :)
48
49 Am I missing something?
53 Andreas K. Huettel
54 Gentoo Linux developer