From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Useflags: qt, qt3, qt4?
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 22:43:14
1 On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:22:21 -0700
2 Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
5 > > On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 03:11:38PM -0400, Caleb Tennis wrote:
6 > >> I would personally like to stay with just the "qt" use flag. The
7 > >> use flag will be for support of whichever version of Qt is
8 > >> supported (v3 or v4) for the particular emerge.
9 > >
10 > > I would like a single 'qt' USE flag as well. If a package supports
11 > > multiple versions of Qt, it can easily be tested which one is
12 > > available at build time, see for instance
13 > > net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-0.5.3.
14 > >
15 > >> In the cases where more than one version is supported, it should
16 > >> be for Qt4 only. The Qt3 version should be a separate emerge.
17 > >> For example, in the case of the poppler bindings, there should be
18 > >> a poppler-bindings-qt3 package.
19 > >
20 > > How about using my idea from above (if USE=qt, then check which
21 > > version(s) of Qt is available and compile in support for those)?
22 >
23 > That makes for highly irreproduceable builds and particularly screws
24 > with building packages on one machine and expecting them to work on
25 > another. Same as autodetecting in configure scripts, except worse
26 > because now we're doing it too.
27
28 +lots
29
30 Ebuilds should not use the build system to make choices about the
31 target, such choices should be USE based as far as possible. The build
32 system should only be considered when ensuring sufficient support is
33 available to perform the build.
34
35 Always consider what happens if you build a binpkg (emerge -B) then try
36 to install that binpkg on another machine (emerge -K).
39 In this particular case, I think separate qt3 and qt4 use flags are
40 sensible and clear. If both are specified, the package should build
41 both UIs; if only one can be built the ebuild should reject the USE flag
42 combinations it can't support.
43
44 Problems with having 'qt' to mean latest and 'qt3' as specifically
45 version 3 include:
46
47 1) Target package depends on build system (assuming 'qt' is interpreted
48 as 'qt3' if only that is installed, rather than pulling in qt4 if not
49 already present).
50
51 2) What 'qt' means changes as new releases are made - if/when qt5
52 becomes available, it means introducing a qt4 use flag and back-fitting
53 to existing ebuilds that used 'qt' but don't build against qt5.
56 Kevin F. Quinn