From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: RFC: install linux-firmware with kernel sources (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite: Firmware cleanup, part #1)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 15:06:06
1 El dom, 10-02-2013 a las 17:46 +0300, Sergei Trofimovich escribió:
2 [...]
3 > The source of confusion was non-working device by default.
4 > Maybe 'IUSE=+firmware; RDEPEND="firmware? ( sys-kernel/linux-firmware )"'
5 > for virtual/linux-sources would help user experience a bit.
6 >
7 > Sometimes firmware loader does not even write fw file
8 > it expects to be present on FS in dmesg (like certain broadcom drivers)
9 > thus it's nontrivial for user to figure out needed package to be installed.
10 >
11 > Thanks!
14 I agree as I have also needed to google and search in forums to get
15 proper firmware installed in the past in some machines :/