From: Robert Paskowitz <r2d2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Software patents
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 06:59:31
2 Hash: SHA1
5 twofourtysix wrote:
6
7 >> On 05/07/05, Robert Paskowitz <r2d2@g.o> wrote:
10 >>>>You have encouraged gentoo to remove patent-encoumbered software from
11 >>>>portage. I'd like to see you personally work with only software that
12 >>>>does not contain any patented work.
16 >> No, I have encouraged Gentoo to remove software written by companies
17 >> who are strongly behind software patents. Big difference. It's so easy
18 >> to get software patents in the USA currently that it's likely that
19 >> every single thing in the tree is covered by some bogus software
20 >> patent. However, in most cases, these patents are not held by the same
21 >> people who are making the software.
25 The linux kernel includes selinux code (2.6 branch). Please see the
26 following statement of assurance:
27 http://www.securecomputing.com/pdf/Statement_of_Assurance.pdf . IBM and
28 RedHat also have numerous patents covering the kernel. If IBM isn't a
29 company strongly in favour of patents, I don't know who is.
33 >>>>>>I applaud Gentoo's
34 >>>>>>efforts in displaying the banners, but so long as Gentoo continues to
35 >>>>>>assist and advertise for the very companies who are pushing for
36 >>>>>>software patents, I do not see it as a particularly credible protest.
37 >>>>>>Would it not be better to avoid becoming involved in the issue
38 >>>>>>entirely if one is not prepared to back up a cute little banner with
39 >>>>>>actual actions?
40 >>>>>>
41 >>
42 >>>>
43 >>>>Gentoo has made no such efforts. Some developers have taken it upon
44 >>>>themselves to make their feelings heard. For those that don't
45 >>>>instinctively realise that planet.gentoo.org agregates stuff writen by
46 >>>>individuals, the following notice is at the bottom of the page:
47 >>>>
48 >>>>Views expressed in the content shown above do not necessarily represent
49 >>>>the views of Gentoo Linux or the Gentoo Foundation.
53 >> Oh come on. The planet is a service provided by Gentoo, with content
54 >> provided by Gentoo developers, which is hosted on a Gentoo domain,
55 >> presumably using Gentoo hardware. A cute disclaimer doesn't change its
56 >> status.
57 >>
58 >> If you seriously think that content provided via the planet is not
59 >> representative of Gentoo views, I invite you to try posting something
60 >> really offensive to it and see how long it lasts. If it remains
61 >> uncensored, I'll accept that Gentoo as an organisation has no
62 >> influence over the content. Otherwise, by moderating the contents,
63 >> Gentoo is implicitly accepting responsibility for the items which
64 >> remain.
68 Views on the planet of views of the developers. Plain and simple. So
69 long as they relate in some way to gentoo, they are welcome. If they are
70 not welcome there, they *are* welcome at universe.gentoo.org. It
71 probably won't surprise you to know that that is hosted on the same
72 machine as planet.gentoo.org. Of course, something flat-out inflammatory
73 isn't likely to survive long, but that's related more to the Etiquette
74 policy
75 (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3;chap=2),
76 which _could_ probably do with another section regarding
77 planet/universe(hint hint devrel).
80 Furthermore, the idea of 'practising what you preach' would suggest that
81 Gentoo not file patents over things it produces. It seems all too
82 easy(and convinient) to blur the actual topic of discussion.
83
92 --
93 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list