From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@××××××.fm>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in app-misc/anki: anki-0.9.9.5.ebuild metadata.xml ChangeLog
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:38:36
1 On Thursday 15 of January 2009 09:12:12 Christian Faulhammer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > "Heath Caldwell (hncaldwell)" <hncaldwell@g.o>:
5 > > + <flag name="latex">
6 > > + Enable support for LaTeX
7 > > + </flag>
8 >
9 > You only have to add flags to metadata.xml, that are not in
10 > use.desc...and USE=latex is there with a similar description as yours.
11
12 I would disagree here. I found considerable amount of packages in portage with
13 less than specific "Add support for XML files" as USE=xml description.
14
15 While it may be by someone considered *similar* to "Enable XML support via
16 libxml library", I found it more than confusing, as XML support is enabled in
17 some packages anyway (as those packages just use only XML files for
18 configuration), in some cases if may not be even remotely related to libxml.
19
20 That being said, I would rather suggest adding always *precise* and *non-
21 general* USE flags descriptions even for global USE flags (actually especially
22 for them) as I usually found it pretty much necessary to look up ebuilds to
23 get to know what does particular USE flag actually do, and I guess this should
24 be avoided at all cost, especially when it does not cost a penny as maintainer
25 actually already knows what's all about with those USE flags for particular
26 package.
29 regards
30 MM