From: Alec Joseph Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder on dependencies.
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:48:17
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:16:54 -0600 Joshua Baergen
3 > <joshuabaergen@g.o> wrote:
4 > | Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > | >RDEPEND lists the things that are needed to use a package once it is
6 > | >installed.
7 > |
8 > | Maybe RDEPEND is insufficient to properly describe a library
9 > | package. I see a big difference between using and compiling against
10 > | a library. I realize you need to compile against it to use it, but
11 > | that's certainly not a run-time dependency.
12 >
13 > Well yes, we already know we need a few dozen more new dependency
14 > atoms. But we're dealing with "what we can use currently" here, not
15 > some hypothetical future situation.
18 So define what you need to meet your goals, hell define your goals and
19 agree on them ( or at least a subset ). Right now you are just arguing
20 back and forth over this small issue. What other issues does the
21 current system impose? What do you suggest to fix them? What manner of
22 "few dozen more new dependency atoms" are needed and what do they do?
23 How can you reconcile the goals of compiling against library headers vs
24 embedded's space need?
25
26 With the ideal case decided you can A. Move gentoo to get closer to
27 that case; and B. Know the deficiencies in the current implementation.
28
29 Right now it just looks like a bunch of people bickering over a policy
30 issue.
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list