From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Subtrees [WAS: Sunrise contemplations]
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:20:19
1 * Martin Rud Ehmsen <ehmsen@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > I don't see how this is going to make anything easier to maintain.
6
7 Well, it's not the overlay, but the clean subtree'ing what does
8 the trick. If you look at the whole dependency graph, this subtree
9 is an really independent part, just if it was an big-fat package.
10 No one outside the subtree (or at least from the main tree) will
11 ever depend on it. That's the primary condition.
12
13 <snip>
14
15 > I maintain a separate part (different from KDE) of the tree and I simply
16 > just avoid doing "cd kde-*" when I'm doing stuff in the tree (I simply
17 > just forget it is there) :-)
18 > In the rare case that my actions require that I actually look at kde
19 > stuff, then it would be a pain in the ass if I had to get it from
20 > somewhere else, and not have it right at hand.
21
22 In which cases do you have to look at KDE stuff ?
23 Would you say, your part is actually an subtree (upon my definition) ?
24
25 <snip>
26
27 > And an argument along the lines of "the tree is too large to download"
28 > does not apply either. If one cannot sync the tree over his/hers
29 > internet connection, then one can clearly not download gcc either :-)
30
31 The tree is really huge today. And it seems to grow each day.
32 Each sync requires a lot of resources (traffic is minimal w/ rsync,
33 but costing server and client load). And the tree requires a lot of
34 space on the system. For example, I've got an notebook w/ an small
35 HDD (which is partially consumed by an win32 laying around ...).
36 On this box I already ran into serious space trouble - syncing the
37 whole tree (while requiring just a few packages) and building larger
38 stuff, failed due out of space. Okay, I simply could cut off some
39 dirs (via rsync ignore option), but this implies quite some danger
40 that I miss something I need. With clean subtree'ing, those things
41 would be clear.
44 cu
45 --
47 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
49 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
50 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
51 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
52 http://patches.metux.de/
54 --
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list