From: Robert Cernansky <hslists2@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proxy-dev (an alternative to sunrise?)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:05:55
1 On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 22:19:14 -0400 Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > the developers could let all these three points at the hands of the
4 > user wanting to get the ebuild included into the tree.
5 [...]
6 > The user has to compromise to take care of those previous commented
7 > three points that some of us might be afraid of, besides of giving
8
9 Oh, if I can speak for me as a user I'll not like it. One of the major
10 advantage of Gentoo is easy maintenace (not mindless, but easy if you
11 know what you are doing) thanks to portage system. Another is
12 availability of large number of software in distribution. These two
13 together gives easily maintanable operating system - because of
14 portage and because I do not need to maintain lot of packages by
15 myself.
16
17 If I have some application that is not included in portage why
18 I decide to make an ebuild? Because I hope that then it will be
19 accepted and included to portage, so maintained by developers (big
20 thanks for this). If I have to take care of package + ebuild +
21 dependencies, I'll rather choose not to make an ebulid but compile
22 package right from .tar.gz archive.
23
24 Sorry for being such a bad user. But I'm pretty busy mostly so I'm
25 glad If I find time to make an initial ebuild and submit. In that
26 case, I see no problem to submit right to bugzilla and dicuss/fix/test
27 the ebuild there.
28
29 I would agree with your points of user responsibilty to solve bugs,
30 dependencies and so on, but only until package is accepted and
31 included to portage.
32
33 Robert
37 Robert Cernansky