From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PMS EAPI 3 more or less ready
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 06:47:53
1 Am Sonntag, den 12.04.2009, 20:59 +0100 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh:
2 > I've got the EAPI 3 branch for PMS more or less ready:
3 >
4 > http://github.com/ciaranm/pms/tree/eapi-3
5 >
6 > The provisional included feature list is everything that was ready
7 > before the deadline.
8 Thanks a lot for your work.
9 Sorry, I was quiet busy the last week with real life.
12 > Before the next Council meeting (ideally a week before, so we've got
13 > time to get the questions worked out), I'd appreciate it if every
14 > Council member could go through each item on the list below, check its
15 > description in PMS (Appendix E has a handy list of links to the
16 > relevant text, or look for the boxed labels in the margin) and
17 > provisionally mark it as one of:
18 >
19 > * critical: EAPI 3 needs to be held up until this feature is in Portage.
20 >
21 > * yes: This feature should be in EAPI 3, but can be dropped if it turns
22 > out it's going to take ages to get into Portage.
23 >
24 > * no: This feature shouldn't be in EAPI 3.
25 >
26 > * whatever: You have no strong opinion on whether this feature should
27 > be in EAPI 3.
28 >
29 > * query: You have questions about this feature, or you think parts of
30 > it need discussion, or you've found a mistake in the PMS draft.
31 >
32 > I'll try to address any queries as they come so people can update their
33 > opinions.
34 >
35 > I'd also appreciate any review of wording features from anyone else.
36 > There are probably still a few holes.
37 >
38 > Hopefully we can get a final list decided upon and provisionally
39 > approved by the next Council meeting, and then as soon as Portage is
40 > ready to go we can merge everything into PMS proper and get a signed
41 > approval tag as we did for EAPI 2.
42 >
43 > Here's the list:
44 >
45 > * PKG-PRETEND
46 critical.
47
48 > * SLOT-OPERATOR-DEPS
49 critical.
50
51 > * USE-DEP-DEFAULTS
52 critical.
53
54 > * DEFINED-PHASES
55 critical.
56
57 > * PROPERTIES
58 critical.
59
60 > * SRC-INSTALL
61 critical.
62
63 > * CONTROLLABLE-COMPRESS
64 no.
65
66 > * DODOC
67 critical.
68
69 > * DOINS
70 critical.
71
72 > * ANY-USE
73 yes.
74
75 > * BANNED-COMMANDS
76 yes.
77
78 > * DOEXAMPLE
79 whatever.
80 ... with dodoc getting recursive behaviour I guess this is not really
81 critical. If portage penalizes it's users by compressing those examples,
82 that's their problem.
83
84 > * DOINCLUDE
85 yes.
86
87 > * UNPACK-EXTENSIONS
88 yes.
89
90 > * ECONF-OPTIONS
91 yes.
92
93 > * PKG-INFO
94 critical.
95
96 > * PROFILE-IUSE-INJECTION
97 yes, but *_IMPLICIT has to be discussed.
98
99 > * AA
100 yes.
101
102 > * KV
103 yes.
104
105 > * REPLACE-VERSION-VARS
106 critical.
107
108 > * S-WORKDIR-FALLBACK
109 yes.
110
111 > * UNPACK-IF-COMPRESSED
112 yes.
113
114 > * RDEPEND-DEPEND
115 critical.
116
117 > * DIE-ON-FAILURE
118 yes.
119
120 > * NONFATAL
121 yes.
124 > Some answers to existing queries that I can remember:
125 >
126 > * DEFINED-PHASES and PROPERTIES have to be EAPI linked because of the
127 > metadata cache.
128 >
129 > * ANY-USE is already special cased in the package manager and
130 > specification. Everywhere that's using it is doing it wrong. It's
131 > possible to rewrite the dep to mean same thing using an expanded
132 > form, although it'll still be impossible to use it correctly if you
133 > do that.
134 >
135 > * ECONF-OPTIONS is very unlikely to break custom configure scripts. We
136 > already pass various weird things through econf, so any configure
137 > script that dies on unrecognised options is probably going to break
138 > anyway. No-one's managed to name a configure script that would be
139 > broken by this change that isn't already not using econf anyway.
140 ... or using econf even if it shouldn't.