From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: per-package default USE flags
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 23:02:26
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 00:25:42 +0200 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
3 > | Ciaran McCreesh napsal(a):
4 > | > The profiles change over time. Currently, when the profiles change,
5 > | > the only thing that has to be checked for conflicting USE behaviour
6 > | > is subprofiles. With IUSE defaults, the person making the change
7 > | > will also have to do a sanity check over the entire tree.
8 > |
9 > | Uh, what kind of conflicting behaviour and what sanity checks are you
10 > | talking about here? Did you _really_ miss the whole point of this
11 > | feature?
12 >
13 > Before changing default values for USE flags, arch and release people
14 > have to make sure that that change won't do something nasty like
15 > introduce circular or built_with_use deps into the default system
16 > resolution.
19 I don't see how the location of the default USE affects these things.
20 If I change default USE in my ebuild; I have to do sanity checks. If I
21 change default USE in the profile; I have to do sanity checks *in that
22 profile*.
23
24 So if your argument is that it's cheaper to check just N profiles ( the
25 profiles affected by my change ) versus all available profiles; then I
26 agree with you on that point.
27
28 However I still believe there exist examples where default USE in an
29 ebuild is a better solution.
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list