From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, wolf31o2@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: per-package default USE flags
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 23:57:36
1 Am Montag, 16. Oktober 2006 00:59 schrieb Alec Warner:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > |
4 > > | Uh, what kind of conflicting behaviour and what sanity checks are
5 > > | you talking about here? Did you _really_ miss the whole point of
6 > > | this feature?
7 > >
8 > > Before changing default values for USE flags, arch and release
9 > > people have to make sure that that change won't do something nasty
10 > > like introduce circular or built_with_use deps into the default
11 > > system resolution.
12 >
13 > I don't see how the location of the default USE affects these things.
14 > If I change default USE in my ebuild; I have to do sanity checks. If
15 > I change default USE in the profile; I have to do sanity checks *in
16 > that profile*.
17 >
18 > So if your argument is that it's cheaper to check just N profiles (
19 > the profiles affected by my change ) versus all available profiles;
20 > then I agree with you on that point.
21 >
22 > However I still believe there exist examples where default USE in an
23 > ebuild is a better solution.
24
25 >From my point of view as an architecture dev and releng member: Having
26 all default USE-flags at one spot (per profile) _is_ easier to maintain.
27
28 Ciaran has a point here: Default useflags have annoyed me in the past
29 while building releases, and having to change several packages (and
30 redigesting them) for the snapshot is way more:
31 * complicated
32 * time-consuming
33 * error-prone
34 than changing them in the profiles directory.
35
36 Chris: I'd like to have your thoughts on this.
37
38 Danny
39 --
40 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
41 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list