From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GPL-2 vs GPL-2+
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 00:24:57
1 On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 18:05:48 +0000
2 Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:56:54 +0100
5 > "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > GPL-2:
8 > > Note: this license states that the software is licensed under GNU
9 > > General Public License version 2, and you might not be able to
10 > > consider it licensed under any later version.
11 > >
12 > > GPL-2+:
13 > > Note: this license explicitly allows licensing under GNU General
14 > > Public License version 2 or, at your option, any later version.
15 > >
16 > > Comments, ideas, proposals?
17 >
18 > From a purist point of view, I'd be inclined to go with this route.
19 > Pragmatically though, given the number of packages that do have the
20 > "or later" clause compared to the number that don't, it might be
21 > simpler to split them into GPL-2 (implying "or later") and
22 > GPL-2-only. That's just a possible naming quibble though -- the idea
23 > I like.
24 >
25 > The suggestion to convert all GPL-2-or-later packages to || ( GPL-2
26 > GPL-3 ) won't scale -- what happens when GPL-2.1 or GPL-3.1 appear?
27 > It's also an awful lot of work for something that is, when you get
28 > down to it, wrong.
29
30 I agree. Diego's proposal works fine in practice; the 'might not' in
31 the description for GPL-2 makes it clear that we don't guarantee to
32 have updated all existing ebuilds to use the GPL-2+ name where
33 appropriate.
34
35 Doing it on an opportunity basis should be fine, so I don't think we
36 need to worry about doing GPL-2-only. Saying GPL-2 when GPL-3 is also
37 acceptable isn't critical in the near term; it won't cause people to
38 install stuff with a license they don't accept. It won't really be
39 needed until someone wants to have GPL-3 stuff but no GPL-2-only stuff
40 - I think it's reasonable to avoid supporting that for a while, at
41 least. If we start now, with all new commits having GPL-2 changed to
42 GPL-2+ if appropriate, after a while we can change the GPL-2
43 description to be GPL-2 only and let GPL-3-only people (there's
44 always one) bug about packages that are still unchanged when they hit
45 them.
48 Kevin F. Quinn